Skip to content

Audrey Kneller Of Elder St

August 4, 2020
by the gentle author

Audrey Kneller sent me this evocative memoir of her years in Spitalfields which is it is my pleasure to publish for the first time here today. In this first of two extracts, Audrey describes her life in Elder St.

Audrey on trip to Epping Forest, aged twelve in 1957

Elder St was not a pretty place in spite of its name. No buds burst forth each spring to awaken our spirits and no birds sang merrily to remind us of the wonders of nature. Instead soot lay unmolested in every crevice of the ancient brickwork, while the clanking and hissing of steam trains shunting reminded us of the presence of the large London terminus. Poverty was a mantle we refused to wear, but it lurked menacingly on every street corner.

Early in 1953, my Auntie Sophie happened to bump into Millie Berman, an old school friend of my mother’s. This chance meeting was to bring great changes. Millie lived with her daughter on the upper floors of a rented house in Elder St and was looking for someone to take over the tenancy as she was intending to move. Clearly this was an opportunity not be missed.

Shortly after the Coronation in June 1953, we left the comfort of our temporary home in Edgware and moved into the four-storey terraced house at 20 Elder St, Norton Folgate, E1. Our first impressions were far from favourable. The tallness of the houses and total absence of trees or even a blade of grass was very forbidding. However we gradually settled and discovered the bizarre fascinations of an urban existence.

At the back, towards Bishopsgate, there was a large bomb site where I joined some boys playing cowboys and indians, and had a lovely time amid the dirt and rubble. My mother, being a genteel person, was quite horrified when I returned home looking the worse for wear. Thereafter I played more civilised games with my sister and the other refined children of the neighbourhood inside the safe confines of the street. The bomb site, however, came into its own on Guy Fawkes Night when the sky was lit up with the flames of a huge bonfire and accompanying fireworks, watched by us from a third floor bedroom window.

Our part of Elder St was an ideal playground, not only because it sheltered us from traffic but also because of the numbers of children living in the surrounding houses and tenements, so we were seldom short of playmates. In those days, the threat of the motor car was almost non-existent, leaving us to play unrestricted and unhampered, a freedom children cannot enjoy today.

In fact, I cannot remember ever, in the early days of our life in Elder St, seeing a car impinge on our games of higher and higher, piggy in the middle and others too numerous to mention. We played in the road outside our door and no-one ever prevented us from chalking out our squares on the pavement for hopscotch. The black-painted iron bars above the basement in front of the some of the houses could easily be squeezed behind, if a side bar was missing, in order to retrieve a lost ball. These hump-shaped grills were nicknamed “airies,” and a cry would often go up, “It’s gone down the airy!” It was up to the smallest and bravest of us to crawl down into the tiny space below, and once down there you had an awful feeling of being trapped in a cage until you emerged triumphant with the lost ball.

I remember long summer evenings spent playing in the street and the man who came along on his three-wheeler, peddling ices. “Yum Yum” was the brand name and yum yum his ice lollies were, delicious and creamy. A good selling point was that every so often one of the lolly sticks would have the name “YUM YUM” printed on it and whoever had such a stick could have another lolly free on presenting it to the ice cream man. Once this fact became known, some of us sat in the gutter scratching the words “YUM YUM” on our spare sticks. But the ice cream man was not fooled and, some time later, when he came round again after an unexpectedly long interval, the name of the product had been changed to “WHIM”. The lollies were the same but somehow the gilt had gone from the gingerbread.

I recall with affection the Josephs family. Simon Josephs was my age and lived with his parents, two maiden aunts and an elderly grandmother around the corner in Fleur-de-Lis St. Their house was much smaller than ours and poorly built but they were a happy family. They even had a television set, which we did not have, and we lost no opportunity when invited to view. We also spent happy hours playing with Simon and his games, especially my favourite one of Monopoly.

Next door to the Josephs lived an elderly spinster and her bachelor brother who was disabled, having been afflicted with shell shock in the First World War, and I remember sitting with them one Yom Kippur evening waiting for the fast to end. One by one, the tiny houses and the dark overcrowded tenements in Fleur-de-Lis St became empty and boarded up awaiting demolition. The Josephs, we heard later, were re-housed in a new flat on the Ocean Estate in Mile End.

Number 26 Elder St was a tall narrow house accommodating two families, one Jewish and the one Gentile. My sister Yvonne and I would sometimes sit on the steps of the house playing gobs or five stones with the daughters of the respective families. Avril Levy from the Jewish family had a famous auntie, Adele Leigh a renowned opera singer, who would often call round, leaving her sporty two-seater Sunbeam Rapier outside the house.

In Blossom St lived a family that to me epitomised poverty both materially and spiritually. The children were neglected and ran around with bare feet and bare bottoms. I was very shocked because they were so different from us yet lived almost on our doorstep. One day, Christine, a little girl who lived at 16 Elder St, decided that we should venture into the house in Blossom St. We peered inside what seemed to be a dark hole with no semblance of what I considered to be the trappings of a home. Dirt and decay lay all around and I caught a glimpse of a man lying asleep on an old armchair which, instead of cushions, was covered with sacks filled with horse hair. Overcome by feelings of horror, disbelief and the foul stench that pervaded the building, we stepped backwards into the street, and quickly walked back to the welcome ‘civilisation’ of Elder St, never to set foot again in Blossom St.

As to the past history of our house, we were led to believe that it was built in the early eighteen-hundreds. I cannot support the validity of this but the house certainly contained some unusual features.

Looking through the windows at the back, high walls surrounded the yard which was no more than ten feet in depth, just enough space for a coal storage area and a washing line to be strung across. Our convenient position near Liverpool St Station could also be a disadvantage, if the wind was blowing in the wrong direction our clean laundry would be showered with a fine layer of soot.

Ours was the only house in Elder St – and for all we knew anywhere else in Norton Folgate – to have a bathroom. The fittings were brass and, instead of having a normal plughole, there was a tall brass post affair which had to be lifted up to let the water run away. Hot water came from an ancient geyser on the wall above the bath but woe betides anyone who fell foul of the delicate lighting-up procedure. I did once and was greeted with a loud bang. The secret was to run the water first and then ignite the gas. Henceforth, unless my mother or sister were there to do the honours, I felt it safer to spend my bath times in an old zinc tub in front of the fireplace in the living room.

Nevertheless, it was handy to have a bathroom, especially as a connecting door led into the back bedroom thereby giving us a bathroom en suite! The toilet was situated next to the bathroom on the first floor landing. To have an inside toilet was again untypical of the area, most toilets being situated outside in the backyard, as I found at our cousin’s house in Buxton St.

A house of this size required regular maintenance and my mother employed a spare-time handyman to keep the interior in a good state of repair. He came and went for six years, painting, papering, plumbing and fixing, and no sooner had he finished on the top floor than it was time to start again at the bottom, rather like the Forth Bridge.

An interesting feature of the house was a long speaking tube with a whistle at one end, extending from the top floor right down to the basement. Presumably a device once used by servants, this was a source of amusement. Another source of great amusement to us, as well as to other children in our street, was the wall panelling. We succeeded in convincing them that one on the first floor landing slid back to reveal a secret passageway, such as the ones used by Cavaliers to escape the Roundheads during the Civil War.

One day, my sister told some children playing in the street that there was something strange in our basement and they immediately came to investigate. Meanwhile, I had dressed up a tailor’s dummy in an old red frock and hid behind it. As the children descended the basement stairs, I slowly moved the dummy forward, calling out in an eerie voice. The inquisitive children scattered in haste, believing me to be a headless ghost!

Not long after we moved into Elder St, we discovered the presence of unwelcome lodgers lurking behind the skirting boards. After mousetraps failed to catch them, we acquired the services of a cat. One day, one of our cousins from Buxton St called round with a tabby who had the perfect markings of a tiger, so the name stuck. Tiger was a wonderfully docile pet but he lived up this name in keeping the rodent community at bay.

One day I found him sitting on the landing and tried to pick him to carry him downstairs but he would not budge. I could not understand it until my mother pointed out that he was standing guard over a small hole in the skirting board. We left him there all that day and eventually he returned to us of his own accord, presumably having accomplished his mission.

As to the other houses in Elder St, I am sure that none of us children had any idea of their historic value. As far as I could see, we were surrounded by decaying walls and we had to make the best of the situation until circumstances improved.

Although we may have been devoid of pastoral pleasures in Spitalfields, life was far from dull. We were living on the fringes of a great nucleus of Jewish enterprise and culture – consisting of delicatessens, bakeries, butcher shops and kosher restaurants, intermingled with other Jewish-owned businesses in the garment, jewellery and shoe trades, bookshops, a Yiddish theatre and numerous synagogues – stretching from Brick Lane southward to Houndsditch and eastward as far as Bow. This was our heritage, we had returned to the roots set down by our grandparents and thousands of other immigrants fifty years earlier.

A second instalment of Audrey Kneller’s memoir follows tomorrow

Audrey’s tenth birthday tea in 1955

You may also like to read about

Neville Turner of Elder St 

17 Responses leave one →
  1. August 4, 2020

    Thank you both.
    Memoirs are one of my favoured reading genres and I look forward to the next installment.

  2. Herry Lawford permalink
    August 4, 2020

    A wonderful read; most evocative:-)

  3. August 4, 2020

    How interesting and so well written.

  4. Rachel Lucas permalink
    August 4, 2020

    Just wonderful – looking forward to tomorrow already!

  5. August 4, 2020

    So many memories stirred – can’t wait for tomorrow – thank you.

  6. August 4, 2020

    What a beautiful insight. Reminding us of the simple pleasures and importance of community. Thank you for sharing.

  7. paul loften permalink
    August 4, 2020

    Thank you both for this well written story. I really did enjoy reading it !

  8. Claire Weiss permalink
    August 4, 2020

    Thank you for this illuminating history. So precious to get such detail. And it’s particularly interesting for me as I have been investigating the history of a silk dyeing family – the Hendries – whose descendants ended up in my local area of Lea Bridge, Leyton. They were Huguenots and from the late 1790s to the mid 1800s their extended family had lived in properties at Fleur de Lis Street and Blossom Street! One of these might have been the house that you have so intriguingly described! I will look back on the early censuses to check. Looking forward to the next instalment from you! Many thanks.

  9. Sue permalink
    August 4, 2020

    Wonderful memories of a London childhood.

  10. August 4, 2020

    Greetings from Boston,

    GA, thanks for featuring Audrey Kneller’s memoir of her girlhood in Spitalsfields. Such detail.

    She mentions the Josephs family – “They even had a television set, which we did not have, and we lost no opportunity when invited to view.”

    That brings back a distinct memory of growing up in the early 50s when a childless couple in our neighborhood opened their home from 5-5:30 in the afternoon for a group of us urchins to watch “Howdy Doody.”

    Great stuff.

  11. Grace Caruso permalink
    August 4, 2020

    This is lovely. Now that most children’s games come down to something on an Iphone….I would suggest that Audrey list the games they played with a very short description of how they were played.. children’s games have certainly decreased in both number and creativity over the years. Documenting them has become a kind of responsibility.. Send the list to one of the larger children’s libraries or to a university child development program. It is a shame to have this lost.

  12. Bernie permalink
    August 4, 2020

    Probably speaking-tubes were common in those old, tall houses. Certainly there was one in my aunt Ray & uncle Woolf’s house in Spitalfields, 60 Wilkes Street, enabling messages to be passed between the living-quarters below and the workshop in the attic. Those workshops presumably were inspired by Huguenot refugee tenants. While the uninterrupted space and large mansard windows made a fine and well-lit workshop, it must have been devilishly cold in winter! Sadly, that house is among those that were demolished many years ago.

  13. Elizabeth Olson permalink
    August 4, 2020

    I hope there is more tomorrow night about the Blossom Street family. I hope they are having happy lives.

  14. Jillian Foley permalink
    August 5, 2020

    What a beautiful article. I look forward to the next instalment. I am about the same age as this lady so its wonderful reading all her comments. I live in a six storey house on Hove seafront now divided into flats but in my flat which is the only one not modernised I have the speaking tube which leads down into the basement. When I did own the whole house in happier times in the seventies my lovely late husband was in the basement which was empty and my two children were upstairs with me in fits of giggles as he was having a quiet cigarette and the fumes were coming up the tube and he was supposed to have given up his Passing Clouds cigarettes! The Dumb Waiter is still in my kitchen – I think it is the only one left in the road as all the other flats have been modernised – more fool them! A rock star millionaire has bought one of the houses five doors down but he has not got a speaking tube so I feel I am more blessed than him!

  15. August 6, 2020

    Thank You about Audrey Kneller!! So Lovely!!??????

  16. MOTB permalink
    August 6, 2020

    We sang this ditty as children (in leafy Surrey) in the 1950s. One, two, three alairy, my ball’s down the airy, serves you right for playing with Mary, on a Sunday morning. I always wondered what an airy was. Now I know.

  17. Yvonne Buffman Cheyney permalink
    August 7, 2020

    I am Audrey (Buffman) Kneller’s sister Yvonne living in sunny Southern California. As Audrey mentioned, I attended Robert Montefiore Secondary Modern (very happily) from 1953-1958. Mr. Nurse was the headmaster, Miss Abrahamson was the headmistress. Our class teacher was Mr. Castleton (who sadly passed away) and then we had Miss Diamond. I emigrated to the US in 1964. When I returned for a visit in 1967 I started a friendship with Mr. and Mrs. Nurse and Miss Abrahamson (she became a family friend). I was in touch with them over several years until they passed away. I remember my son of 2 sitting on Mr. Nurse’s lap on my 1975 visit. Neither the Nurses or Miss Abrahamson had children. I am very proud of Audrey for writing and researching this historical document, and a BIG thank you goes to THE GENTLE AUTHOR for all the insights we are privileged to be part of through their daily articles. Best wishes to all from across the pond.

Leave a Reply

Note: Comments may be edited. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS